OVERRULED by Emma Chase

,

Overruled (The Legal Briefs, #1)Overruled by Emma Chase


DNF @ 20% "NOT EVERYBODY CAN BE DREW EVANS." Warning: Spoilers follow
I am a HUGE Emma Chase fan. So huge that I waited over a year to read this book because I knew, *taps chest* that this book wasn't going to be my "thang." (And I was right.)
Once again, I am in the minority....

The "DNF moment" came with the 1st POV change (Sofia). I'd spent 20% of the book reading from Stanton Shaw's POV, so I wasn't too thrilled to see her name pop up on my kindle. The flow was a little slow after that...
Also, I was too invested in Jenny & Stanton's story. I didn't care about the smart, beautiful Sofia because I was rooting for the girl back home! You know, the one who raised THEIR daughter. The one who put her dreams on hold so Stanton could go fuckin around at Columbia?

Predictions, as I don't plan on revisiting the scene!:
1) I think Chase will play up the whole "Jenny and I were best friends" thing.
2) Sofia and Presley are going to form this magical bond overnight...(See "Paper Hearts" by Claire Contereas for more info on how this is accomplished...)
3) Sofia and Stanton will end up together, and I didn't sign up for that. I signed up for the 20%, which includes the royal treatment of Stanton knocking a woman up, screwing other people, maybe having an obsessed woman or two, but going back home to Jenny...Who maybe, just maybe remained faithful, right? Whom has found someone else? Who is getting married and Stanton just can't take it....so he professes his love and says to hell with Washington! BAHHHHH!

I read the blurb before starting this, but somehow it didn't register for the first 20% that Jenny wasn't the "it girl" of this piece. And by the time Sofia entered the scene at 20%, I thought of her as an invader/home wrecker instead of love-prospect.
Love Emma Chase's work....But I couldn't finish this. I refuse to read anymore books about the girlfriend back home who gives up everything to raise a baby, while the boyfriend goes off to fuck half of New York...





View all my reviews