Torture to Her Soul (J.M. Darhower)

,

Torture to Her Soul by J.M. Darhower
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

ARC was generously provided in exchange for honest review
NOTE: SPOILERS TO FOLLOW!!!!!
I'm torn straight down the middle. I like Naz, but I can't stand Karissa. And it's because of this very reason that I rated this book 2 stars.

Never have I read a book (aside from Gabriel's Inferno), where the lead female is just so damn pathetic, weak, and annoying. When I think of weak in terms of a lead female in a book series, I think of Bella Swan. Which is probably why I pictured Kristen Stewart as Karissa. (NOTE: That probably didn't help much in terms of trying to like Karissa's character...)
KARISSA:

NAZ:

The good, the bad, and the ugly...
1) Karissa is a whiny, immature bitch. For the first 25% of this book she walked around with earbuds in her ears pouting like a 3 year old. I'm serious, I have never seen a character (aside from Julia in Gabriel's Inferno) cry so much in my life. This girl gave Julia a run for her money at every turn. You will never see a more irritating female lead. Anything Karissa can do wrong and cry about, she does. She loves Tinkerbell, and when Naz tells her his opinion regarding Peter Pan possibly killing The Lost Boys, this bitch loses it. She rips her Tinkerbell "Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust" poster off of his wall and shreds it.

2) Karissa is just a nosy bitch. LOL. She wants the truth, but when it's handed to her she loses all rational thought.
3) Daddy is dead. And even though Karissa knows he was a bad man and didn't really give a shit about him, she still expects some sympathy.
4) Karissa is stupid. Period. Naz is a killer. It's his art, his work. You don't go to the police when he gets shot. Stupid...Stupid...Stupid. All of that work trying to convince readers that she was smart (NYC ect...) went out the door the moment she spilled her guts.
"I told the police because I was trying to save my mother...."

5) Karissa becomes some 12 year old fan girl when he calls her baby.

I'm not too ashamed to admit that I read solely because of Naz. It was well written and the plot was very structured. But I don't have it in me to give more than 2 stars.

View all my reviews