Breaking Nova by Jessica Sorensen

,

Breaking Nova (Nova, #1)Breaking Nova by Jessica Sorensen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Landon:

Nova:

Quinton:


This is another "LOVE/HATE BOOK".


Okay, I'm going to get a few things out in the open. Honestly, I don't think it's a good thing that I ended up loving Landon's character more than anyone else. THAT IS BAD. He's gone, but I felt like I knew him better than anyone. It seemed like his scenes were the only heartfelt moments in the entire book and I was on the edge of my seat every time that italic writing came up, knowing a memory was about to be relived.


I wrote a big list or great things, bad, decent...My mind was reeling with this book, but I'm currently unsure if it was a good reel, or just a bad one. So here we go...
Convenience list
1) Landon Evans, Quinton Carter. Landon Carter, perhaps? The names should have been thought out a little more. It was too close.
2) Nova's dad is dead, so is Quinton's mom. Ugh, they already lost their significant others. I understand you're trying to set them up like they are going through the same thing, but really? Was that necessary?
3) Tattoos on Quinton's stomach of everyone he killed.


Things I annoyed me
1) The biggest killer in this book, for me, was hearing the comparisons to Landon Evan nonstop. Because of that, I never understood who Quinton really was. It was like Landon was reborn in Quinton's body. Quinton might as well not even exist. Understand? And I know this is lame, but I was actually thinking "Wouldn't it be great if both Quinton and Nova had amnesia and Quinton is actually Landon, and Nova is Nikki?" <---that data-blogger-escaped-a="" data-blogger-escaped-br="" data-blogger-escaped-is="" data-blogger-escaped-know="" data-blogger-escaped-lol.="" data-blogger-escaped-problem.="" data-blogger-escaped-s="" data-blogger-escaped-there="" data-blogger-escaped-when="" data-blogger-escaped-you="">

2) Quinton's promise to Lexi. *GROANS* She shakes her head from side to side as her breaths become ragged, and she clutches my arms. “Just promise me that you’ll never forget me, no matter what. That you’ll always love me more than anyone else.”


Onto the GOOD stuff lol.
THINGS THAT HAD ME REELING/FEELING/HIGHLIGHTS/QUOTES

1) When she is on the porch of Tristan's trailer after first meeting Quinton, and she has that memory of Landon. *GRABS CHEST....Lawd...I know Landon is dead but...SNIFFS...I wish he was alive!

2) Quinton's memory of the wreck, where he finds Lexi.

3)Landon and Nova's first kiss and the first time he tells her he loves her. Gosh, I just honestly didn't like Quinton at all. I mean...I was too hung on Landon.


4) And finally, Landon's video. I was a fuckin mess. I knew he was dead, but with how much interaction she had with him in the memories, I still felt like he was there too. So I believe in that sense the author got her point across. However, I'm not sure it evened out and found neutral ground, because I couldn't separate Landon and Quinton as people. To me Quinton didn't exist, just Landon. SHRUGS.

THE DOWNFALL
This book was good, but around pg 188 in my Ebook, the author just raced to the last page. I mean it was BAM! BAM! BAM! Nova's seen the light, she understands what she did wrong, she wants to be better ect...It was rushed. There's no other excuse for it. The ending was pathetic. I understand it's a series sort of deal, but the book was told from two different POV's and Quinton's was virtually non-existent toward the last 100 pages. I expected a POV from him towards the end and never got it. The book didn't equal out in that aspect. I understood all of Nova's issues...But with Quinton all I saw was a pot-headed druggie who wanted to die. You never find out what he likes to do, other than draw. His IPOD is mentioned a few times, along with a few songs, but we never got to know him like we did Nova. And to be fair, I didn't really know Nova all too well to begin with. Basically, she's obsessed with Landon. PERIOD. She talks about Landon more in her POV that Quinton talks about Lexi. I think another issue I had, was how the author made Lexi. I didn't like her. But I liked Landon. Because of Landon's history with Nova, I could relate to her sometimes. But Lexi just seemed like a druggie/whore ect...Which was a downfall for Quinton, I guess, because it made me question his character.

FINAL VERDICT: THREE STARS ***
I wanted to give this book more but I couldn't. The writing was good, solid, but I question if this author should've been the one to tell this story. There was a lot of repetitiveness and that got annoying very quickly. I think two POV's in this story wasn't the best route to take. I didn't really feel the connection between Quinton and Nova. I didn't feel the attraction ect. Honestly, if this series pops out three or four books, I wouldn't believe that Nova loved Quinton for who he actually is. Not after reading the first book. I'd be too stuck on that idea that she loves/likes him because of Landon. Once you embed that into someone's mind it's hard to come back from it. I think I could believe Quinton when/if he ever said he loved Nova, but it would take a lot of convincing. For me they are just friends that have a lot of bad shit in common. I'm back here waving the victory flag for Landon's ghost. I'm on his side. LOL. And I don't care what anyone says about it...This book would've been AMAZING had it told the story of Landon and Nova, without his death, and Nova helping him. (Though I know that's impossible because she never saw the signs ect..) To me, it would've meant more to an audience. That's my honest opinion.


Will I read the sequel? No. Why? Because I don't feel any connection between Quinton or Nova.



All that being said, it was a decent read. But if your looking for a book to drag you into some epic romance this isn't it. Landon Evan's was her Jack Dawson. Okay? It doesn't get better than that. I don't care how many times you try to spin it. I didn't feel anything between Nova and Quinton in the first book and I'm not going to waste my time trying to force myself to find a connection in the upcoming books. It's just not worth it. Maybe the author should've made Landon, Quinton. I think that would've given this book a face-lift. I really do. 3 STARS.





View all my reviews