You Were Here by Gian Sardar

,

You Were HereYou Were Here by Gian Sardar
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Release Date: May 16, 2017

4 stars--Shewww, what a ride! The beginning dragged a bit at times, but the middle-end was so full of drama and suspense that I couldn't stop reading!


Death, accidental and early, has always been Abby Walters's preoccupation. Now thirty-three and eager to settle down with her commitment-shy boyfriend, a recurring dream from her past returns: a paralyzing nightmare of being buried alive, the taste of dirt in her mouth cloying and real. But this time the dream reveals a name from her family's past.

Abby has bad anxiety. So much so that she could be riding in the car and obsessing about how she could die via a car crash. Her boyfriend, Robert, has promised to "upgrade" their life and fulfill her dreams as soon as he sells his next script, but Abby is starting to wonder if that will ever happen...And she feels stuck in a way.
Her best friend, Hannah, has moved forward and bought a house; meanwhile, Abby is being drawn back 10 years by a nightmare that won't go away.

The writing was spot-on, along with the delivery of creative metaphors that, at times, had me close to pissing my pants. The narrative is told from a third person POV and tends to stay in a dark tone throughout the book, but there were descriptions of memories and previous wants that lightened the mood and evened everything out.



Although the romantic plot of this book didn't play as big of a role as I would've hoped, I still walked away from this SATISFIED. (Which for me is a BIG thing.) I hate finishing a book and feeling like pieces are missing or that there should've been more.



Final thoughts
Cover: 7
Writing: 10
Character Development: 10
Romance: 7
Suspense: 10

I definitely plan on reading more books from this author in the future. I would recommend this to anyone who loved "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn. The plot's are different, obviously, but I felt similar tones throughout.
LINK TO PREORDER: Amazon

Many thanks to Putnam/Penguin Random House for sending this to me. :)

My blog
Instagram: Booklish_Reviews

View all my reviews