Loving Mr. Daniels by Brittainy C. Cherry

,

Loving Mr. Daniels by Brittainy C. Cherry
My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Yes, I am fully aware that I will be in the minority, but I don't care. I must speak my peace.
(WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW.) Things I couldn't stand
Note: I already know how bitchy this is all going to sound. WHAT FOLLOWS IS A RANT...
1) 2%-32% on my Kindle was Ashlynn. And then, out of nowhere, Daniel's POV comes out of hiding and a nice flow of one chapter Ashlynn, the next chapter Daniel, forms. I didn't like that. I'd gotten comfortable with Ashlynn's POV, so when his popped up I was a little disappointed.

2) There is a dead epidemic going on:
Daniel's mother: Dead.
Daniel's father: Dead.
Daniel's former girlfriend, Sarah: Dead.
Ashlynn's twin sister: Dead.
Randy's parents and sister: Dead.

3) Too many quotes by Shakes. We get it, they're obsessed with literature. But no man, I don't care how romantic he is, is going to quote Shakes before going down on a woman. And if he did, I would be questioning what the hell was wrong with him.

4) Ashlynn pity party. Apparently she's the only one hurting and because of that she can lash out at anyone she wants, including: Rebecca, Henry ect...No. I found it hard to like her during certain chapters and I'm still not convinced that she's this "sweet girl".

5) The letters from Gabby. (Been there, read that.) I was reminded of A Walk to Remember, when Landon started fulfilling Jamie's list. When Daniel kissed Ashlynn in the bar, I thought of Landon. When Ashlynn saw Daniel at the cemetary and they got all cozy, I thought of Landon and Jamie searching for stars at the cemetary.



6) Ryan dies at 73%. What was the purpose of this, exactly? I don't know. To add more drama?

7) I don't buy for a second that Ashlynn had never had an orgasm before Daniel came along. Not with the way she touched herself in his Jeep.

8) The sex scenes were never played out fully, except for one. I don't know what people consider this book to be (Erotica, New Adult, Romance ect) but it is definitely not Erotica.

9) Constantly pointing out the obvious. For example: She see's the cereal and marshmallows on the table. "You got me Cap'n Crunch and added marshmallows?" or She saw the letter lying on the bed. "You read my letter?!!!" (There was too much repetetiveness.)

10) The word perfectly imperfect. If I read this word 50 years from now, it would still be too soon. Every time perfectly imperfect popped up on my kindle, I thought of Demi Lovato, Joe Jonas, and that damn Camp Rock song that played a few summers ago.
Insert chord from "Wouldn't Change a Thing" by Demi and Joe.
We're perfectly imperfect, but I wouldn't change a thing.... *ORCHESTRA FINGERS* Everybody sing the chorus...in 1...2....3


11) Ryan dies and all Ashlynn can think of is Daniel and her twin. It's like Ryan never existed. There is no mourning on her end, nothing. One would think it's because she's "shed too many tears" but I thought it was just laziness. She can cry over Daniel not texting her, but she can't mourn over Ryan taking his own life. (2 pages isn't mourning.)


12) Ashlynn, Ashlynn, Ashlynn. It was all about Ashlynn all the time. Screw the fact that Daniel lost his entire family (except for his brother). She's that kind of person. The one who, no matter what you've been through, she's been through worse.
Example: If someone were to say "I've had a kidney stone" Ashlynn would say something like "Well I was sick when I was younger and got held back..."
She's just not likable at all.


13) All anyone did in this book was cry. You can't make it through one chapter without Ashlynn crying for some reason. Even something as petty as people whispering about her. Really? Sooo damn frustrating.

He would come; I knew he would. If Daniel Daniel's loved me the way I knew he did, he would show up.
"I'm sad." I said breathily
Oh please....She acts like a 4-year-old!

"Twisted" fans, (aka Emma Chase fans) would probably like this. Ashlynn pulls a Kate at the end and throws out a "I want to be on my own to prove I can do it."
There is so much back and forth in this book from both Ashlynn and Daniel. They broke up like 4 or 5 times throughout this and I honestly don't know how that appeals to people lol. If you're not ready to have your character commit, then hold off using the word "Boyfriend" for a while. Don't make it exclusive! Easy fix, there ya go!

So Ashlynn leaves to find herself...Right at the 90% mark in my Kindle. Three years pass by in 6 pages. Enter: RUSHED ENDING. Ladies, she was gone for a total of 8 pages.

Conclusion: 2 stars. (Reasons are listed above...)
I can't find it in me to like this book or hate it entirely. At times the Shakes quotes were sweet, and then just stupid. We never heard much about his ex-girlfriend Sarah, whom Daniel had confessed he would still be with had she not passed. That story was just tossed to the side and left unfinished. We don't know what happened to Bentley. Did he finally move on? What's going on there? I briefly thought Hailey and Randy had a connection at the funeral, but it was over as fast as it started. Did she finally make peace with Ryan's death? And most importantly, what about Rebecca? TOO MANY OPEN DOORS.
In the end, Ashlynn was a hypocrite. She did exactly what her mother did to her. She ran away (to California) and blocked everyone out.
So no, I don't really like this book. I'm not sure if it's because the ending was tied in a pretty white bow or...It just wasn't my thing.




View all my reviews