Monster in His Eyes by J.M. Darhower

,

Monster in His Eyes (Monster in His Eyes, #1)Monster in His Eyes by J.M. Darhower
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Shew...

I didn't see a lot of hope for this book when I started reading it on my Kindle. Why? Because there was too much description and not enough dialogue. By the time I reached 62% I was about to call it a day. Nothing was happening, I was getting bored.
But then as I crossed into 65%, all of the shit started hitting the fan.
WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW
This book has everything.
John: A deranged, nonexistent father who has spent the last 19 years hiding.

It's got a paranoid mother who just wants to find peace but can't because she's harboring a dark secret.

Karissa: your typical lead female, who is just downright stupid, naive, and a childish as they come. The typical damsel in distress. (Sorry, sad but true.) Oh, and a pushover. She "goes with the flow" as Naz has mentioned several times in the book.

Naz: the leading male who is 1) rich. 2) handsome. 3) a psycho...oh, and 4) a hitman/murderer.

The writing was, muah, okay I guess. There was a lot of repetitiveness.
"Why are you doing that?"
and he'd say
"Why am I doing what?"
Or
"Huh." followed by "What?"
Some of the dialogue was really boring and what little there was was overshadowed by the descriptions. (Too much descriptions in between dialogues.)
If you can make it to 65% of the book, if you have the patience, than it might turn out to be a good read for it. Likewise, I can see where some people wouldn't want to invest the time for a puny 20% of good manuscript.

I think there was so much hype built around this book. Too much really. The prologue was very "off-putting." You never really see who this monster is until the last 20 pages or so. Throughout the entire book I was trying to figure out why he was such a monster and couldn't find anything. There were hints dropped here and there, but as far as concrete facts that he was a quote "monster" there was nothing. At one point he choked her in bed, but she liked it, so I didn't really see how that made Naz a monster. He wasn't as controlling as perhaps the author wanted him to be. Honestly, Naz just didn't act like he cared as much about Karissa as she cared about him.

Had the last 20 pages not happened, I would've given this book a 1 star. Seriously, the first 65% of it is boring as hell. Naz and Karissa go out to eat, they screw, he picks her up, they go out to eat again, they screw, they go back to his house, they screw again, they eat again, yada yada. Basically they: eat, screw, sleep...and that's about it.
"I wanted to ask him...." <---i data-blogger-escaped-a="" data-blogger-escaped-after="" data-blogger-escaped-always="" data-blogger-escaped-and="" data-blogger-escaped-annoying.="" data-blogger-escaped-ask="" data-blogger-escaped-book.="" data-blogger-escaped-br="" data-blogger-escaped-but="" data-blogger-escaped-cannot="" data-blogger-escaped-character.="" data-blogger-escaped-did="" data-blogger-escaped-for="" data-blogger-escaped-go.="" data-blogger-escaped-got="" data-blogger-escaped-her="" data-blogger-escaped-how="" data-blogger-escaped-in="" data-blogger-escaped-it="" data-blogger-escaped-karissa="" data-blogger-escaped-lets="" data-blogger-escaped-little="" data-blogger-escaped-many="" data-blogger-escaped-nothing="" data-blogger-escaped-pushover="" data-blogger-escaped-s="" data-blogger-escaped-say="" data-blogger-escaped-says="" data-blogger-escaped-she="" data-blogger-escaped-the="" data-blogger-escaped-this="" data-blogger-escaped-times="" data-blogger-escaped-to="" data-blogger-escaped-wants="" data-blogger-escaped-while="">The flow is really slow and the "voice" is a bit Anna Steelish, if you get my drift. There's no "Oh my..." but there's a lot of 'oh fuck."

The author also had this habit of writing something in the dialogue and then bringing it to pass within a few pages.
For example: Like when Naz tells Karissa she'll eventually be able to walk into a restaurant and not have to wait for service. Within three pages Karissa is out to eat with Melody and it's noted "Oh, the boss remembers me and I don't have to wait for a table. Naz was right."

Karissa's favorite word in this book is definitely "Why?" She never asks what she wants to ask, but every time Naz speaks she's all "Why?" Which I don't get because she never does anything if she doesn't like his response anyways. So what's the point of knowing the truth, right?
"Why do you get service right away?"
"Why do you like me?"
"Why me?"
"Why did you get me roses?"
"Why do you want me to cook ramen noodles?"
Why, why, why, why, why....SIGHS.

I was waiting for a "why do you want to put you penis down there, why?"
But don't think Naz is out of the clear. He has his own favorite phrases too.
"Huh." and "Because I know you Karissa."
I gave this book two stars. I wanted to give it three but I couldn't find it in me to do it. (Not with the repetitiveness, awkward phrasing, and constant "I wanted to ask....")
On to the next book.


View all my reviews