Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

,

Hopeless (Hopeless, #1)Hopeless by Colleen Hoover
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Here we go....

Honestly, this book was really good until I reached the halfway mark. That's where the author lost me. When the big confession was made known, aka Sky is Hope, I just lost all interest. I thought it was too cheesy and unrealistic. And that really sucks because I actually liked Holder's character up until that point. He was funny and charismatic. I liked Sky too. Some of her inner thoughts and dialogue were hilarious. Especially her views on certain things like the slut notes ect...But after the confession both of them turned into something else and I started to regret reading this book all together.


First off, the confession was just a bust. Ugh. Once it was made known that Sky was Hope, Holder turned into this emotional wreck that was so unattractive. And Sky virtually turned into a weak character that I didn't recognize.


I am frustrated because the first half of this book was so GREAT. It was AMAZING. This author had me turning the page, eager to see what was going to happen next. I was giggling along with Holder's witty banter and his text messages. Sure, his behavior was somewhat immature, but it held my attention. Both characters did. But that confession just screwed up the entire book. There could have been a better plot for this. It would have been better if they didn't know each other and he had the dark past ect...You know what I mean? The sheltered girl falls in love with the bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks or whatever. Yes, that's very cliche but it would have worked out better, I think. Some of the stuff didn't make sense once that confession was brought into light. It was like I was reading a completely different novel.

I give this book 2 stars because of the following:
1) The detail was terrible. By the time I decided to stop 85% into the book, I still didn't have a clear image of what Holder looked like in my mind. There was a lot of inner thoughts that I think could have been edited out and replaced with detail.
2) Not really understanding Six's purpose in this book, at all.
3) No internet, cell phone, ect....What are they Amish? (No offense, just sayin...)
4) Holder was doing so much shit that would have had any other girl running for the hills. He lied and acted like an ass. The list for him is endless, and yes, having said that I still adore the Holder from the first half of the book. It's weird...
5) I thought the "feelings" issue that Sky had was a rather lame and boring excuse to just kiss any guy that gave her a lopsided grin.


CONCLUSION: I was very disappointed. I actually thought I would finish this one...But the moment the confession was revealed, the book lost most of it's spark for me. I just couldn't continue. It get's 2 stars because of how Holder was in the first half of the book.



View all my reviews